Draft Law on "Integrated Solid Waste Management". What Does it Entail?
Prepared by Lebanese Environment Ministry in 2005, a draft law on the Integrated Solid Waste Management was approved by the Cabinet in
2012 and awaits the Parliament’s approval.The draft law aims to regulate the solid waste in Lebanon, hazardous and non-hazardous, including the process of financing and cost recovery.
It includes a plan, to monitor and develop standards and conditions of solid waste treatment in order to mitigate as much as possible the amount of waste intended for disposal and reduce the amount of hazardous solid waste.
The draft law had been prepared in coordination with the Ministry of Interior and Municipalities, Ministry of Finance and the Council for Development and Reconstruction.
One of its main targets, is to facilitate the management of hazardous solid waste and encourage recycling and reuse process.
The draft law includes a plan to be implemented by local administrations: the municipalities, municipal associations, or federations of municipalities.
Plan includes the collection, storage, sorting, migration, transport, processing, preparation, and disposal of solid waste.
3. Solid waste management programs.
4. Human resources, administrative, financial and others.
6. Supervising and controlling the proper execution and implementation of the plan.
The draft law incorporates a solid waste management programs including:
1. Providing technical assistance to local departments in case of preparation of local plans for solid waste management
2. Reducing the production of solid waste, sort of source.
3. Encouraging composting or biological transformation of organic solid waste in a manner identical to the detachment conditions and environmental standards.
4. Guiding the civil society on ways to rationalize the consumption of natural resources and thus reduce the solid waste production.
The draft law includes a cost recovery of financing the solid waste management from multiple sources, including:
1. Fees imposed directly on the source of the management of solid waste taking into account the quality and characteristics of solid waste generated as well as the cost associated with the management,
2. Indirect fees
3. Fees on products
STRATEGIES & PLANS
A fundraising event, entitled Think Green, will be held by Zero Waste ACT for all its business members on September, 10,2013, at WHITE, Dora.
The Green Mind Association invited all Green Mind Award Participants, finalists, runner ups and winners to the GREEN MIND DAY on Jan-16-2013 in Beirut, to create a platform where interested Venture Capital and Potential Investors met with participants.
A green initiative launched by Ashrafieh 2020 project aims to transform Ashrafieh into a tranquil and unpolluted area.Green spaces allow residents to walk and ride bicycles.